About the Campaign
Advocating for a new transportation future
|Download this short introduction to Transportation For America (pdf)|
The interstate highway system has been completed, but is now starting to crumble, even as rising fuel prices and overburdened highways and public transit systems are causing many Americans to look for better, cheaper and more convenient ways to get around. It’s time to imagine a new future for America.
Transportation for America is:
bringing together the most diverse coalition anywhere, eager to reform how we spend transportation dollars at the federal, state and local level to create a safer, cleaner and smarter transportation system that works for everyone.
That it is past time for a bold new vision — transportation that guarantees our freedom to move however we choose and leads to a stronger economy, greater energy security, cleaner environment and a healthier America. Through our comprehensive work on Capitol Hill; our local events and partnerships across the country; unparalleled research, reports and data; and strong presence in the media; we have helped to change the conversation around how we spend our precious tax dollars on transportation for decades to come.
Imagine an America where:
- A “fix it first” philosophy ensures that all bridges are rated safe and roads are maintained so that drivers and businesses waste less on vehicle repairs.
- Anyone who wants to work – be they low-income or middle class – can get to jobs, whether by their own car or public transportation.
- You can avoid traffic on the way to work, because multiple, frequent travel options – trains, trolleys, van pools, clean buses and more – connect your neighborhood to jobs, shopping and health care.
- Projects are built, not for political reasons, but because they get people where they need to go, make America stronger economically and improve energy security, safety and health.
- Investments in public transportation projects are putting thousands of engineers, factory workers, accountants and construction workers back to work with new skills they can transfer into other private sector jobs.
Join with thousands of others who are demanding that our leaders invest in a 21st Century transportation system.